Tuesday, December 20, 2011

12-20

Ok so today has been good and bad.

The good - she is doing well off of the respirator and breathing well, O2 saturation is up except when they upset her and she screams at them which is good because she is excersiing her lungs.

The bad - her IV infiltrated (blew the vein) and she had a reaction to the stuff in the IV. When they removed the IV some skin came off and she bled quite a bit. The way the doctor explained it as long as the stuff in the IV stays inside (mainly the calcium in the multivitamin) everything is ok, if it gets out the calcium reacts with your tissues and creates a chemical burn. As a result they decided they did not want to risk giving her another regular IV because they (me too) do not want to chance it happening again. They did a different kind of IV (forgot name), that is routed through a small Vienna using a cathethor to a larger vein so this will not happen again. Normally they do not do this unless they think it will be in for a long time, but do not want to blow up anymore little veins.




Catching a little cat nap with far less tubes...i would be happy too!




Another attempt to capture the elusive blue yes of baby Caroline.




The IV in her right foot is the one that failed. This picture was taken about an hour after the IV was put in and looks fine. It looked swollen and purple half an hour later.

If you guys think I am being too informational or graphic let me know, I will omit the bad stuff. Just want to keep everybody in the loop without making 30 phone calls.

Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

4 comments:

Grandma Budke said...

Thank you,Ben fortelling us ALL the
Dr.s information about Caroline's
progress.We need to know both the good and the bad parts and I think you are doing just great.Our
continued prayers are keeping the three of you in God's Hands,I know!

Grandma Budke said...

Thank you,Ben fortelling us ALL the
Dr.s information about Caroline's
progress.We need to know both the good and the bad parts and I think you are doing just great.Our
continued prayers are keeping the three of you in God's Hands,I know!

Grandma Rundle said...

I gotta go with Grandma Budke again. But how is Kori?

Anonymous said...

I agree with both grandmas. I like to know exactly what to pray for!
Keep on with the updates.
Love to all!
Alissa